** This is a paid workshop. Please purchase a ticket here: https://generalassemb.ly/education/sql-bootcamp/denver/113183 **
This workshop will build upon the skills developed in the GA SQL For Beginners course. SQL provides powerful but reasonably simple tools for data analysis and manipulation. The workshop uses a combination of lecture and in-class exercises to ensure that students leave with a working grasp of the SQL skills covered in class. Students will immediately be able to apply their skills at work. This is an Intermediate-Advanced course and is best suited for students with some basic SQL knowledge (Understand SELECT-FROM-WHERE statements and basic filtering). Beginner level students should attend GA’s SQL for Beginners course prior to this workshop.
General Assembly’s classes, workshops and events are recreational and for avocational purposes only. No certificate is awarded.
• Review SQL vocabulary such as tables, schema, functions, and joins
• Review basic SQL syntax with SELECT-FROM-WHERE statements (also LIMIT/ ORDER BY)
• Complex filtering using WHERE clauses
• Grouping and Aggregations [MIN, MAX, SUM, AVG, COUNT]
• CASE Statements
• Mathematical calculations in the SELECT statement
• Understanding Primary and Foreign Keys
• JOINs and UNIONs using aliases
• Using Common Tables Expressions (CTEs) to break up complex queries
• Useful SQL Functions (Date/ String manipulation)
You will need access to a laptop or computer with a working webcam and microphone as well as a strong internet connection.
This course will occur completely online using Zoom and Slack.
Course set up information will be emailed to all students signed up around 24 hours before (and again an hour before) your course launches.
This is an intermediate/advanced class. Please make sure you have attended SQL for Beginners course or have a basic familiarity with SQL syntax. We will be pausing to let students run and write queries of their own. We will use the first 10 minutes of class to install SQLite on laptops for use in class.